Friday, June 3, 2011

Schemin'

I felt I needed a place to organize and publish the patterns for my original craft projects. I often knit/crochet/sew/etc. without direction, but jot down what I end up with so I can re-create it later. And on occasion, the latent desire for orderliness crops up within me and I design a pattern first.

I already have Facebook for showing off my finished creations, but I wanted to also share the process so that my fellow crafters can gain from what I've been up to. So many friends ask me to make them a copy of some piece or other and the problem is, I'm an artist. I am a slave to my creative whims and don't always want to make the same thing twice (unless I've got loads of time, which only occurs during the summer). Also, I'd probably charge a high price because, darn it, these things are my precious creations! I can be talked into commissions if you're determined, sure, but I get an even greater sense of satisfaction from helping people harness their inner crafty one to meld my ideas with their own.

As well as patterns and photos of finished projects, I will use this blog as a journal for my ideas that are in the process of being schemed and seamed into existence.

Things that inspire me that will show up in my crafts: robots, food, supervillains, folklore, literary characters, Russia...

Check back here in a few days (OK, maybe a week) for pictures and information on my current projects-in-progress inspired by Norse god of mischief/comic book supervillain/wonderful breakout film role for a devastatingly cute British actor that I'm now obsessing over like some silly high schooler, Loki. So far I am crocheting a doll (almost done...making armor out of yarn is ridiculous) and sewing my own helmet out of gold lame (horns and all...it's going to be, again, ridiculous, and may well spawn an entire costume. I am going to bring shame to my family.)

No comments:

Post a Comment